Monday, September 22, 2008

Old people with dementia have a duty to die ??

I thought the article about Baroness Warnock's opinion on people with dementia was somewhat shocking. It seems downright ignorant and disrespectful to brush these people aside as if they don't deserve to live just as much as the rest of us do. I believe that if someone who has a terminal condition (i.e. has no more than 6 months or so to live) is truly suffering and consciously chooses to end their misery, then it is their right to do so. But, in most cases, people living with dimentia are not suffering to a debilitating extent and are fully capable of living rewarding and fulfilling lives. I don't think it would be morally ethical to "push" someone toward physician-assisted suicide, or sway their personal opinion in any way. It is very interesting that an influential figure has such a strong and open opinion toward consciously killing people before their actual time to go arrives. It minimizes the self-worth and autonomy of people suffering with the disease, as well as their families.

3 comments:

Biomedical Ethics: Kate Nash said...

I totally agree. This was a shocking article to read. She obviously has no respect for autonomy, non maleficence, and justice for these individuals. Talk about deviating from moral norms! Scary to think these are the people who influence the education of others.

Emily Lipscomb said...

I agree as well. It would be different if these people were a serious threat to society but they are not. It is saddening to think that at any time a person of this influence could suggest that people suffering from ANY illness should be pushed toward physician assisted suicide. I don't consider this statement any different than saying people with an IQ below 60 should be pushed toward suicide.

morganmccarthy said...

I agree with you as well. That seems like a ridiculous idea. These people are human beings who have every right to live as fully functioning people. Just because people have diseases does not mean that we have a right to decide when they die.